Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas Eve, I decided that the two projects I needed to finish were a stitching piece and a baby quilt.

The quilt won the race, however, its also been in process longer.  I started it before Jacob was born and have struggled to finish it much sooner than I did.  I guess part of the problem was that I decided that each of the different fabrics needed to quilted differently... yeah, that's not going to happen again!

I used my Singer 401a with a walking foot to quilt it and it sailed right through all the layers.  The 401a was made for this kind of work and she didn't let me down.
This is the front of the quilt with the requested numbers and planets fabric.  I found the planet fabric, then the gray, blue and peach star fabric and then, off to Fabric.com to find the number fabric.  I didn't have a pattern that spoke to me so I just made it up as I went.  Let me tell you, that was a challenge.  I made a mistake cutting the star fabric on my first block and thought 'well heck, I don't have enough of it to re-cut it' so I added a planet block in the center of each star strip.  To my eye it made the star pieces much less over powering. Now that it is done, people tell me that when I told them the fabric was going to be numbers and planets, they weren't sure it was going to work.  To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure it would work.

I used an orange flannel to back the quilt as I thought it was a lovely warm fabric for our winters here in Colorado. While this was supposed to be a baby quilt, I decided that with these fabric choices, I would make a bigger quilt so he could use it longer than a year or two. 

My other finishes were stitching related.  
I couldn't come up with a present for my son and his family so, I decided to stitch this up for them. It's at the framers now so they should have it in a week or so.

Shepherds Bush Spring - I finished this about 3 months ago but couldn't find the embellishments.  So, when I realized I was going to meet with my framer, I was just going to suck up the fact that I didn't have the embellishments, that in my stash, I couldn't find a bunny charm and just get it framed.  I dated it, and then on a whim, looked one last time.  Well, whaddya know, there they were.  So, we determined what frame, mats and size at our meeting and I took it home to finish that day - because it was 12/31/14 and I had dated it 2014.

While I was there, I also picked up the framed Lizzie Kate 2013 Halloween Mystery Sampler.  I really LOVE how this turned out.

My stitching goals for this year, I have two Mirabilia's that I started a few years ago and want to finish them, a couple Shepherds Bush samplers that have been started (one is on the floor frame right now and will be done in the next day or two) and a few new projects that are calling to me.  One is a Victoria Sampler Christmas and the other is a beautiful monthly stitch along that started on 1/1/15.  I have my fabric ready and am still working on putting my floss together.  I've decided to use over-dyed threads and have had to convert the colors from DMC.  The other big goal I have is to get something framed each month because I have so much in my completed bin that I really want to see displayed in one way or another.

We'll see how the year progresses and how much I manage to accomplish.

1 comment: