Friday, May 2, 2014

A new day, a new blog

Mmmmm that freshly sharpened pencil and new paper smell that comes with the beginning of the new school year.  Ok, mebbe not but a blank screen and a keyboard will work in a pinch...

I have a confession - I have turned into a Vintage Sewing Machine crazy woman... It started all very simply, my primary sewing machine is a 1954 Singer 401a.  I learned how to sew on my mothers Singer 401g that she bought used before I was born.  I learned how to read German sitting/standing next to the machine while my mother whipped out our clothes or garments that she was making for people.

I've had a sewing machine off and on for years, when I returned to Colorado, it was one of those off times. I decided that I wanted to finish some of my stitching projects and turned to Craiglist in hopes of finding and inexpensive machine to fill that need.  I got emails 'I have such and such machine for $50 but it needs..'  By the time the machine was done needing, it was out of my budget so I had to turn down numerous 'offers.' I was contacted by a gentleman who was finally ready to clear his late mothers room and had her sewing machine with a cabinet that he wanted to find a good home for her and it was free.  He was kind enough to deliver it and when he brought the machine in, I almost fell over!  She was a gorgeous Singer 401a, the same machine I grew up with, I know her quirks, her desires, I knew this machine... She will not be relegated to the back heap.

Then I found a Facebook page dedicated to Vintage Sewing Machines (VSM), its all been downhill from there.  I have since acquired a 1924 Singer 127 Sphinx Treadle, an 1890 Clemens Muller LaReina hand crank, a 1907 Singer 27 Sphinx Treadle and an 1882 Singer Fiddlehead Treadle with coffin top...

This is my journey to restoring them to their magnificent state so that we can use them.  Once I figure out how to add pictures, I will add them here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment